Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Attaining level 10

I made it; finally!
Last night after a very long day, which is characteristic of my Tues, and Weds, I might add, I decided that I wasn't going to bed before I got to level 10. The previous night I had gone onto level 9.5 but could not stay up long enough to get to the end of that level. I simply couldn't bring myself to slay any more forest spiders, or bears, or even kobloids and humanoids.
It was off to bed for me to be continued the next day.

Which brings me to a the ambivalence I felt in the game. Killing to get ahead. Then again, that notion is not new to human relations. In fact, the creators exploit that aspect as it reinforces an ideological framework that equates success with stepping on other people's toes so as to get ahead. And if stepping on toes means killing then so be it.

No comments: